Types of Controlled Substances
DUIs are not only caused by driving under the influence of alcohol. Controlled substances can also contribute to impaired driving driving and can cause a driver to get a DUI.
Some controlled substances other than alcohol include:
- Schedule I controlled substances include GHB, Ibogaine, Cannabis (including marijuana, hashish, and hashish oil), DMT, Heroin, Dipidolor, MDMA (Ecstasy), psychedelic mushrooms, Foxy, LSD (Acid), Peyote, Mescaline, Methaqualone, STP/DOM, AMT, etc.
- Schedule II controlled substances include Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Ritalin, opium, Methadone, Oxycodone, Percocet, OxyContin, Percodan, Morphine, Amphetamines, Dextroamphetamine, Dilaudid, Pure codeine, Pure hydrocodone, Demerol, PCP, Nembutal, Cesamet, etc.
- Schedule III controlled substances include Anabolic steroids, talbutal, Buprenorphine, Dihydrocodeine, Ketamine, Xyrem, Hydrocodone/codeine, Vicoprofen, paracetamol, Vicodin, Tylenol 3, Marinol, Paregoric, LSA, etc.
- Schedule IV controlled substances include Xanax, Librium, Valium, Restoril, Temazepam, Rohypnol, Ambien, Doloxene, Darvocet, Phenobarbital, Talwin, Phentermine, Pemoline, Modafinil, Aquachloral, Miltown, etc.
- Schedule V controlled substances include cough suppressants containing codeine, preparations containing opium or diphenoxylate, Pregabalin (Lyrica), Pyrovalerone, diphenoxylate (Lomotil), Difenoxin (Motofen) when mixed with atropine to make it unpleasant for people to grind up, cook, and shoot up. Otherwise, the drugs are in Schedule II.
Operating a vehicle under the influence of controlled substances is illegal. This includes illegal drugs and also legal drugs -- both prescription and over-the-counter drugs. Basically, it is illegal to drive under the influence of anything you take that affects your ability to drive. There may not be a test that shows whether or not the drug is in your system, but you can still be charged with a DUI if there is evidence that you were under the influence and your driving was impaired. For more about this type of DUI charge, read Two DUI Charges.
Learn more about DUI Charges and Penalties.