Can I Get A DUI Dropped If I Live In a Different State?

If you or a family member were arrested for DUI in another state, how to get a DUI dropped from out of state is probably a major concern of yours, particularly if the state where you were arrested is very far from where you live.

Laws and penalties will vary by state, but regardless of where it happened, DUI is extremely serious and can have onerous penalties and far reaching consequences. The question of whether or not you can have the charges dropped have to do with the specifics of the case, and have almost nothing to do with the fact that you are a resident or not.

Contact a Local Attorney

The very first thing you need to do if you have been arrested for DUI in another state is to contact a DUI attorney who practices in the same area where the arrest occurred, in order to ensure you are working with an attorney who is intimately familiar with any local laws which may exist alongside the state laws.

  • The local DUI attorney can explain what the laws are in the state where your arrest occurred, and what your best options are.
  • Depending on the facts of your case, the attorney might recommended pleading the charges down rather than an outright defense.
  • If there were aggravating circumstances surrounding your arrest, such as an elevated blood alcohol content, or you refused to submit to a chemical test or someone was injured in an accident you caused you should not expect this to just go away.
  • The matter will be resolved (conviction, plead down, no conviction) as though you were a resident of the state, so treat this DUI arrest with the same level of seriousness that you would if the DUI happened at home.

National Driver Registry

All states report DUI convictions to the National Driver Registry, and all states check the registry before issuing or renewing a drivers license, so what happens in another state will become known.

Inter-State Reporting

In addition to the National Driver Registry, most states will share information with your home state if they suspend your drivers license for DUI, or if you fail to appear for court (and a warrant is issued for your arrest) or if you were convicted.

  • If your license is revoked in the state you visited, chances are your home state will follow suit.
  • It is possible to receive a shorter license suspension in the visitor state because there it is your first offense, but if you have a DUI conviction on your record at home, you may have to deal with the harsher penalties that come with multiple DUI offenses.

Get Help

DUI defense is complicated enough before the added difficulty presented by an out of state proceeding. Find and hire the best attorney who is prepared to work with you, create a strategy and defend your rights and your driving privileges.

Swipe to view more